Abdullah Ibn Salam according to the Hadith



Abdullah Ibn Salam was one of The companions of the prophet of Islam. In his case, it's said he was a Jewish rabbi who through the study of the Torah recognized the prophet of Islam. The hadith documents the following facts about Ibn Salam:

- He was convinced that the description of Muhammad was found in the Torah  copies he used.
- To confirm Muhammad's prophethood, he first asked questions. Those questions came from Jewish exegesis and the Torah to recognize a prophet.
- He was held in high esteem by the prophet of Islam. He was considered one of the people of paradise.
- He was respected among Jews before accepting Islam
- He was a witness to his Jewish brethren that in his view the Qur'an was true
- He would highlight if a Jew was lying in matters concerning the Torah. He was knowledgeable of its contents
- He was committed to Islam to the point of giving up his tribe

In summary, it's reported in the Hadith that Ibn Salam accepted Islam out of conviction. It's concluded through these reports that his knowledge of Judaism played a critical role in his commitment to Islam. Some of the Sahih and Hasan Hadiths are reported below. There are more reports of Ibn Salam which are not presented because are weak or because they repeat the stories already reported here.



http://sunnah.com/urn/634790
http://sunnah.com/tirmidhi/49
Narrated 'Abdullah bin Salam:
"The description of Muhammad is written in the Tawrah, [and the description that] 'Eisa will be buried next to him." (One of the narrators) Abu Mawdud said: "[And] there is a place for a grave left in the house."
Grade : Hasan (Darussalam)
English reference : Vol. 1, Book 46, Hadith 3617
Arabic reference : Book 49, Hadith 3977


http://sunnah.com/bukhari/60/4
Narrated Anas:
When `Abdullah bin Salam heard the arrival of the Prophet (ﷺ) at Medina, he came to him and said, "I am going to ask you about three things which nobody knows except a prophet: What is the first portent of the Hour? What will be the first meal taken by the people of Paradise? Why does a child resemble its father, and why does it resemble its maternal uncle" Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "Gabriel has just now told me of their answers." `Abdullah said, "He (i.e. Gabriel), from amongst all the angels, is the enemy of the Jews." Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "The first portent of the Hour will be a fire that will bring together the people from the east to the west; the first meal of the people of Paradise will be Extra-lobe (caudate lobe) of fish-liver. As for the resemblance of the child to its parents: If a man has sexual intercourse with his wife and gets discharge first, the child will resemble the father, and if the woman gets discharge first, the child will resemble her." On that `Abdullah bin Salam said, "I testify that you are the Messenger of Allah." `Abdullah bin Salam further said, "O Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)! The Jews are liars, and if they should come to know about my conversion to Islam before you ask them (about me), they would tell a lie about me." The Jews came to Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) and `Abdullah went inside the house. Allah's Apostle asked (the Jews), "What kind of man is `Abdullah bin Salam amongst you?" They replied, "He is the most learned person amongst us, and the best amongst us, and the son of the best amongst us." Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "What do you think if he embraces Islam (will you do as he does)?" The Jews said, "May Allah save him from it." Then `Abdullah bin Salam came out in front of them saying, "I testify that None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah." Thereupon they said, "He is the evilest among us, and the son of the evilest amongst us," and continued talking badly of him.
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 3329
In-book reference : Book 60, Hadith 4
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 546
  (deprecated numbering scheme)


http://sunnah.com/bukhari/63/38
Narrated Sa`d bin Abi Waqqas:
I have never heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying about anybody walking on the earth that he is from the people of Paradise except `Abdullah bin Salam. The following Verse was revealed concerning him: "And a witness from the children of Israel testifies that this Qur'an is true" (46.10)
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 3812
In-book reference : Book 63, Hadith 38
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 5, Book 58, Hadith 157
  (deprecated numbering scheme)

Merits of the Helpers in Madinah (Ansaar)
http://sunnah.com/bukhari/63/137
Narrated Anas bin Malik:
Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) arrived at Medina with Abu Bakr, riding behind him on the same camel. Abu Bakr was an elderly man known to the people, while Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) was a youth that was unknown. Thus, if a man met Abu Bakr, he would day, "O Abu Bakr! Who is this man in front of you?" Abu Bakr would say, "This man shows me the Way," One would think that Abu Bakr meant the road, while in fact, Abu Bakr meant the way of virtue and good. Then Abu Bakr looked behind and saw a horse-rider persuing them. He said, "O Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)! This is a horse-rider persuing us." The Prophet (ﷺ) looked behind and said, "O Allah! Cause him to fall down." So the horse threw him down and got up neighing. After that the rider, Suraqa said, "O Allah's Prophet! Order me whatever you want." The Prophet said, "Stay where you are and do not allow anybody to reach us." So, in the first part of the day Suraqa was an enemy of Allah's Prophet and in the last part of it, he was a protector. Then Allah's Apostle alighted by the side of the Al-Harra and sent a message to the Ansar, and they came to Allah's Prophet and Abu Bakr, and having greeted them, they said, "Ride (your she-camels) safe and obeyed." Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) and Abu Bakr rode and the Ansar, carrying their arms, surrounded them. The news that Allah's Prophet had come circulated in Medina. The people came out and were eagerly looking and saying "Allah's Prophet has come! Allah's Prophet has come! So the Prophet (ﷺ) went on till he alighted near the house of Abu Aiyub. While the Prophet (ﷺ) was speaking with the family members of Abu Aiyub, `Abdullah bin Salam heard the news of his arrival while he himself was picking the dates for his family from his family garden. He hurried to the Prophet (ﷺ) carrying the dates which he had collected for his family from the garden. He listened to Allah's Prophet and then went home. Then Allah's Prophet said, "Which is the nearest of the houses of our Kith and kin?" Abu Aiyub replied, "Mine, O Allah's Prophet! This is my house and this is my gate." The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Go and prepare a place for our midday rest." Abu Aiyub said, "Get up (both of you) with Allah's Blessings." So when Allah's Prophet went into the house, `Abdullah bin Salaim came and said "I testify that you (i.e. Muhammad) are Apostle of Allah and that you have come with the Truth. The Jews know well that I am their chief and the son of their chief and the most learned amongst them and the son of the most learned amongst them. So send for them (i.e. Jews) and ask them about me before they know that I have embraced Islam, for if they know that they will say about me things which are not correct." So Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) sent for them, and they came and entered. Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said to them, "O (the group of) Jews! Woe to you: be afraid of Allah. By Allah except Whom none has the right to be worshipped, you people know for certain, that I am Apostle of Allah and that I have come to you with the Truth, so embrace Islam." The Jews replied, "We do not know this." So they said this to the Prophet and he repeated it thrice. Then he said, "What sort of a man is `Abdullah bin Salam amongst you?" They said, "He is our chief and the son of our chief and the most learned man, and the son of the most learned amongst us." He said, "What would you think if he should embrace Islam?" They said, "Allah forbid! He can not embrace Islam." He said, " What would you think if he should embrace Islam?" They said, "Allah forbid! He can not embrace Islam." He said, "What would you think if he should embrace Islam?" They said, "Allah forbid! He can not embrace Islam." He said, "O Ibn Salaim! Come out to them." He came out and said, "O (the group of) Jews! Be afraid of Allah except Whom none has the right to be worshipped. You know for certain that he is Apostle of Allah and that he has brought a True Religion!' They said, "You tell a lie." On that Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) turned them out.
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 3911
In-book reference : Book 63, Hadith 137
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 5, Book 58, Hadith 250 (deprecated numbering scheme)


(10)Chapter: Interpretation Of Dreams
http://sunnah.com/ibnmajah/35/28
Kharashah bin Hurr said:
“I came to Al-Madinah and sat with some old men in the mosque of the Prophet (ﷺ). Then an old man came, leaning on his stick, and the people said: ‘Whoever would like to look at a man from among the people of Paradise, let him look at this man.’ He stood behind a pillar and prayed two Rak’ah. I got up and went to him, and said to him: ‘Some of the people said such and such.’ He said: ‘Praise is to Allah. Paradise belongs to Allah and He admits whomsoever He wills to it. At the time of the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) I saw a dream in which a man came to me and said: “Let’s go.” So I went with him and he took me along a great road. A road was shown to me on the left and I wanted to follow it, but he said: “You are not one of its people.” Then a road was shown to me on the right, and I followed him until I reached a slippery mountain. He took me by the hand and helped me up. When I reached the top I could not stand firm. There was an iron pillar there with a golden ring at the top. He took my hand and helped me up until I reached the handhold, then he said: “Have you gotten a firm hold?” I said: “Yes.” Then he struck the pillar with his foot and I held tight to the pillar. I told this to the Prophet (ﷺ) and he said: "You have seen something good. The great road is the plain of gathering (on the Day of Resurrection). The road that you were shown on your left is the way of the people of Hell, and you are not one of its people. The road which you were shown on your right is the way of the people of Paradise. The slippery mountain is the place of the martyrs, and the handhold that you held on tight to is the handhold of Islam. Hold on tight to it until you die." I hope to be one of the people of Paradise,' and he was 'Abdullah bin Salam."
 : Sunan Ibn Majah 3920
In-book reference : Book 35, Hadith 28
English translation : Vol. 5, Book 35, Hadi


Merits of the Helpers in Madinah (Ansaar)
http://sunnah.com/bukhari/63/39
Narrated Qais bin Ubad:
While I was sitting in the Mosque of Medina, there entered a man (Abdullah bin Salam) with signs of solemnity over his face. The people said, "He is one of the people of Paradise." He prayed two light rak`at and then left. I followed him and said, "When you entered the Mosque, the people said, 'He is one of the people of Paradise.' " He said, "By Allah, one ought not say what he does not know; and I will tell you why. In the lifetime of the Prophet (ﷺ) I had a dream which I narrated to him. I saw as if I were in a garden." He then described its extension and greenery. He added: In its center there was an iron pillar whose lower end was fixed in the earth and the upper end was in the sky, and at its upper end there was a (ring-shaped) hand-hold. I was told to climb it. I said, "I can't." "Then a servant came to me and lifted my clothes from behind and I climbed till I reached the top (of the pillar). Then I got hold of the hand-hold, and I was told to hold it tightly, then I woke up and (the effect of) the handhold was in my hand. I narrated al I that to the Prophet (ﷺ) who said, 'The garden is Islam, and the handhold is the Most Truth-worthy Hand-Hold. So you will remain as a Muslim till you die." The narrator added: "The man was `Abdullah bin Salam."
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 3813
In-book reference : Book 63, Hadith 39
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 5, Book 58, Hadith 158
  (deprecated numbering scheme)

http://sunnah.com/urn/1286820
http://sunnah.com/ibnmajah/
It was narrated that ‘Abdullah bin Salam said:
“When the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) came to Al-Madinah, the people rushed towards him and it was said: ‘The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) has come!’ I came along with the people to see him, and when I looked at the face of the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ), I realized that his face was not the face of a liar. The first thing he said was: “O people, spread (the greeting of) Salam, offer food to people and pray at night when people are sleeping, you will enter Paradise in peace.”
English reference : Vol. 1, Book 5, Hadith 1334
Arabic reference : Book 5, Hadith 1395


http://sunnah.com/urn/636880
Narrated Yazid bin 'Umairah:
"When death was upon Mu'adh bin Jabal, it was said to him: 'O Abu 'Abdur-Rahman, advise us.' He said: 'Sit me up.' So he said: 'Indeed, knowledge and faith are at their place, whoever desires them shall find them.' He said that three times. 'And seek knowledge from four men: 'Uwaimir Abu Ad-Darda, with Salman Al-Farisi, with 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud, and with 'Abdullah bin Salam who used to be a Jew and then accepted Islam. For indeed, I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying, "Indeed he is the tenth of ten in Paradise."
Grade : Sahih (Darussalam)
English reference : Vol. 1, Book 46, Hadith 3804
Arabic reference : Book 49, Hadith 4174

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/64/77
Narrated Ibn `Umar:
Bani An-Nadir and Bani Quraiza fought (against the Prophet (ﷺ) violating their peace treaty), so the Prophet exiled Bani An-Nadir and allowed Bani Quraiza to remain at their places (in Medina) taking nothing from them till they fought against the Prophet (ﷺ) again) . He then killed their men and distributed their women, children and property among the Muslims, but some of them came to the Prophet (ﷺ) and he granted them safety, and they embraced Islam. He exiled all the Jews from Medina. They were the Jews of Bani Qainuqa', the tribe of `Abdullah bin Salam and the Jews of Bani Haritha and all the other Jews of Medina.
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 4028
In-book reference : Book 64, Hadith 77
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 5, Book 59, Hadith 362
  (deprecated numbering scheme)


http://sunnah.com/bukhari/61/139
Narrated `Abdullah bin `Umar:
The Jews came to Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) and told him that a man and a woman from amongst them had committed illegal sexual intercourse. Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said to them, "What do you find in the Torah (old Testament) about the legal punishment of Ar-Rajm (stoning)?" They replied, (But) we announce their crime and lash them." `Abdullah bin Salam said, "You are telling a lie; Torah contains the order of Rajm." They brought and opened the Torah and one of them solaced his hand on the Verse of Rajm and read the verses preceding and following it. `Abdullah bin Salam said to him, "Lift your hand." When he lifted his hand, the Verse of Rajm was written there. They said, "Muhammad has told the truth; the Torah has the Verse of Rajm. The Prophet (ﷺ) then gave the order that both of them should be stoned to death. (`Abdullah bin `Umar said, "I saw the man leaning over the woman to shelter her from the stones."
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 3635
In-book reference : Book 61, Hadith 139
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 4, Book 56, Hadith 829
  (deprecated numbering scheme)


» Muwatta Malik » Jumu'a - Hadith
http://sunnah.com/urn/402420
Yahya related to me from Malik from Yazid ibn Abdullah ibn al-Had from Muhammad ibn Ibrahim ibn al-Harith at-Taymi from Abu Salama ibn Abd ar-Rahman ibn Awf that Abu Hurayra said, "I went out to at-Tur (Mount Sinai) and met Kab al Ahbar and sat with him. He related to me things from the Tawrah and I related to him things from the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace. Among the things I related to him was that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'The best of days on which the sun rises is the day of jumua. In it Adam was created, and in it he fell from the Garden. In it he was forgiven, and in it he died. In it the Hour occurs, and every moving thing listens from morning till sunset in apprehension of the Hour except jinn and men. In it is a time when Allah gives toa muslim slave standing in prayer whatever he asks for.' Kab said, 'That is one day in every year.' I said, 'No, in every jumua.' Then Kab recited the Tawrah and said, 'The Messenger of Allah has spoken the truth.' "
Abu Hurayra continued, "I met Basra ibn Abi Basra al-Ghiffari and he said, 'Where have you come from?' I said, 'From at-Tur.' He said, 'If I had seen you before you left, you would not have gone. I heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, "Only make a special journey to three mosques:
the mosque of the Haram (Makka), this mosque (Madina), and the mosque of Ilya or the Bait al-Maqdis (two names of Jerusalem)." ' " (He was not sure which expression was used.)
Abu Hurayra continued, "Then I met Abdullah ibn Salam and I told him that I had sat with Kabal-Ahbar, and I mentioned what I had related to him about the day of jumua, and told him that Kab had said, 'That is one day in every year.' Abdullah ibn Salam said, 'Kab lied,' and I added, 'Kab then recited the Tawrah and said, "No, it is in every jumua.'' ' Abdullah ibn Salam said, 'Kab spoke the truth. 'Then Abdullah ibn Salam said, 'I know what time that is.' "
Abu Hurayra continued, "I said to him, 'Let me know it - don't keep it from me.' Abdullah ibn Salam said, 'It is the last period of time in the dayof jumua.' "
Abu Hurayra continued, "I said, 'How can it be the last period of time in the day of jumua, when the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "a muslim slave standing in prayer", and that is a time when there is no prayer?' Abdullah ibn Salam replied, 'Didn't the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, "Whoever sits waiting for the prayer is in prayer until he prays?" "'
Abu Hurayra added, "I said, 'Of course.' He said, 'Then it is that.' "
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 5, Hadith 17
Arabic reference : Book 5, Hadith 240

   http://sunnah.com/bukhari/91/32
Narrated `Abdullah bin Salam:
(In a dream) I saw myself in a garden, and there was a pillar in the middle of the garden, and there was a handhold at the top of the pillar. I was asked to climb it. I said, "I cannot." Then a servant came and lifted up my clothes and I climbed (the pillar), and then got hold of the handhold, and I woke up while still holding it. I narrated that to the Prophet (ﷺ) who said, "The garden symbolizes the garden of Islam, and the handhold is the firm Islamic handhold which indicates that you will be adhering firmly to Islam until you die."
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 7014
In-book reference : Book 91, Hadith 32
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 9, Book 87, Hadith 142
  (deprecated numbering scheme)


http://sunnah.com/bukhari/91/28
Narrated Qais bin 'Ubada:
I was sitting in a gathering in which there was Sa`d bin Malik and Ibn `Umar. `Abdullah bin Salam passed in front of them and they said, "This man is from the people of Paradise." I said to `Abdullah bin Salam, "They said so-and-so." He replied, "Subhan Allah! They ought not to have said things of which they have no knowledge, but I saw (in a dream) that a post was fixed in a green  garden. At the top of the post there was a handhold and below it there was a servant. I was asked to climb (the post). So I climbed it till I got hold of the handhold." Then I narrated this dream to Allah's Messenger (ﷺ). Allah's Apostle said, "`Abdullah will die while still holding the firm reliable handhold (i.e., Islam).
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 7010
In-book reference : Book 91, Hadith 28
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 9, Book 87, Hadith 138
  (deprecated numbering scheme)

Comments